Sam gives up big projects, takes big risks in the U.S.

Actor and singer Sam Milby has taken the next big step in his career. He is leaving the Philippines in February 2012 to pursue hisHollywood dreams.

Even if he hasn’t received a guaranteed offer in La La Land, Sam has dropped out of a major role in ABS-CBN’s forthcoming new TV drama, “Alta,” which will star Angelica PanganibanGretchen Barretto, KC Concepcion, Luis Manzano and Zanjoe Marudo. His role has been taken over by Diether Ocampo.

He has also given up a new movie with Bea Alonzo, which will now be shot with Derek Ramsey.

“It’s a big risk on my part. But I feel so good and positive about it. I’m really up to the challenge. Alam ko naman na napakahirap pumasok sa Hollywood,” Sam told Yahoo! Philippines OMG! and some members of the press during Star Magic’s “A Night to Give Back” benefit concert last Sunday, November 20.

No guarantees

Last October, Sam returned to the U.S. after a series of auditions to meet again with casting directors and network executives. While the results of his auditions appear positive, Sam denied he has been cast in any project.

His move to the U.S. next year, where he will stay for three months beginning in February, will build on the momentum on his early auditions. He hopes to go on more try-outs in the hopes of jump-starting a Hollywood career.

Even without a firm offer, Sam says he has been asked to confirm rumors he has landed projects.

“People are like, ‘Anong show mo? “Vampire Diaries?”’ Ayaw ko namang isipin ng mga tao na may work na ako doon. I’d like to put it this way, nakilala ko yung mga casting directors, ang gagawin ko actually is to audition. But, kilala ko na yung mga casting directors and other network executives. Nothing’s guaranteed,” he added.

Seizing opportunities

“I was really looking forward to ‘Alta,’” he said of the series he opted out of. “That is a really good project and power cast talaga. But, with everything looking promising, I don’t wanna pass up the chance talaga, the opportunities. It’s a big risk and I gave up a teleserye. But, I’m really, really positive and excited about this,” Sam said.

Sam has never kept his Hollywood ambitions a secret.  “It is my dream. I believe that if I really work hard and if I push myself, I can. I think anybody who put their mind and heart into it, they can achieve it. But then Hollywood is not always like that naman. There are some na napakagaling naman but never get the chance. Suwerte ako kasi I’ve just started and I know a lot of people already. Sana yun ang start,” Sam said.

As Sam will be leaving local showbiz for three months, does he fear of losing his popularity in the country?

“Hindi naman sa ganu’n. I’ll be back naman. Then I’ll have work when I get back, I’m planning to do a teleserye next year. I’m excited for that. But I’m also very excited for February,” Sam said.